MISSIONS & OUTREACH…
…Are a big part of our identity at FCC Tyler!
For many years, it has been our habit to allot 10% of our church’s annual spending to Outreach giving. When we draw funds from investments once a year, we consistently allot 10% of what we take, to Outreach. This creates an annual Outreach budget to be shared with local and Christian Church (Disciples of Christ) non-profit agencies.
Over time, we’ve also found we’re a group ready to do more as needs arise, and get hands-on with needs & collections. As we began to track yearly fundraisers, personal giving, and in-kind donations, we discovered that FCC doubles our Outreach budget annually with additional congregational giving.
We give away space in our 2 buildings to host fledgling groups in need of a home, and to nest and support ministries (many not our own church’s!) that better our community.
We highlight one non-profit community partner every month, to spread the news of good work getting done and the kind of local help available.
(Some of our regular partners are PATH, Bethesda Health Clinic, Habitat for Humanity, Meals on Wheels, Mosaic Counseling, SHINE Ministries and Hand Up Network.)
We also try to consistently offer opportunities for people to do hands-on work with and for one another. We imagine a day when every single church member has found a passion project, church or community mission, or service area that feeds their faith.
NEED A PLACE TO PLUG IN?
The church office can help direct you to the staff and lay leaders of these activities:
- MEALS ON WHEELS DRIVER (one shift a month, 90 minutes–2 hours)
- HIWAY 80 RESCUE MISSION COOK (we make and deliver one lunch meal a month)
- TYLER STREET TEAM SUPPORTER (occasional needs to meet emergencies for folks living in homelessness or transitioning out of it)
- FCC CARE TEAM (hospital visits and phone chats as needed)
- MUSIC MINISTRY (chancel choir, 2 handbell ensembles, and praise team are open to new musicians)
- AUDIO/VIDEO/MEDIA CREW (5 volunteers + 2 paid camera operators work behind-the-scenes every week)
- GREETING TEAM or SAFETY TEAM
- CHILDREN’S MINISTRY (help can be occasional instead of weekly or even monthly – bring any special skills children can learn!)
- PUMPKIN PATCH (this month-long event creates needs for decorators, event planners, volunteer recruiters and schedulers, and daily workers!)
- EVENT BUILD-OUT TEAM (help construct sets for special days in the church calendar)
- PROPERTY CARE TEAM (occasional outdoor maintenance and tracking of indoor building needs)
- RECYCLING CREW (help us do more good by placing and emptying bins around campus)